Cortana is a virtual digital assistant of Microsoft. She is fantastic, witty, and charming. But, what if she stops working? You will get irritated. And what is more irritating is when you don’t even know the reason. Has your Cortana gone AWOL? Maybe she never functioned. We will find out what is up with “Cortana”, but before going into the depth, just restart your gadget.
Use some of these solutions to troubleshoot Cortana is not responding issue:
The only way through which we can make Cortana work is by enabling her. She will not work if she’s not allowed to. She would listen into your voice only if there is a microphone. You need to check if the Windows button is working well or not. Follow the below-given steps to verify if Cortana is enabled:
- Enter Cortana, on the Taskbar in search Window.
- Tap Cortana and Search in the results.
- See if all these options are adequately enabled:
- See if Cortana responds to Hey Cortana.
- Tap Get Started under Microphone and ensure Cortana can hear you/
- Set up a microphone to work through Wizard.
- Allow Windows to resolve all the issues.
Take help of Microsoft Account to fix the issues
When Start menu isn’t working well, then there can be an issue with Microsoft account. Solve the problem and log out. It will resolve it. If you want to see where the problem lies, then:
- Tap the Start button.
- Tap user icon.
- Tap Sign out.
- Take help of Microsoft account to sign in again.
- Restart your device if that isn’t resolving the issue.
Check for the updates
Microsoft launches updates that are available for fixing Cortana issues. The issues related to Cortana will get resolved by installing these updates. Use windows update for updating windows 10:
- Write Check for Updates in the search window.
- Tap Check for updates in results.
- Tap check for updates.
- Let the process get complete.
- Restart the device even if you don’t want to.
Run Start Menu Troubleshooter
This troubleshooter will look and resolve the issues that lie inside the Start list and the “Cortana”. Especially if “Cortana” isn’t working well and neither is Start button working. Follow the below given steps :
- Go to Microsoft’s Troubleshoot issues with the Start menu.
- Tap try the troubleshooter.
- Tap Start Menu Troubleshooter.
- Tap on the downloaded file.
- Tap Next.
Restarting process of Cortana
Users can also stop and restart Cortana Windows if your issue isn’t solved yet. Restart this service by:
- Hold “Ctrl key+Alt key+Del” keys.
- You will get prompted to task manager.
- Tap More Details if applicable.
- Scroll to see Cortana from Processes tab.
- Tap EndTask.
Disable Antivirus software
So many incompatibilities are there with Cortana. Disable the use of a third party anti-virus. Follow the steps given below:
- Type Control panel, in the search bar.
- Tap Uninstall program from the Control Panel.
- Tap antivirus program and tap Uninstall.
- Go through the uninstall process.
- Start the device again.
Install Cortana again.
- Reinstall Cortana by pressing Windows Key+X and tap A.
- Tap Yes for allowing Powershell to open up.
- Enter the respective command.
- Tap Enter until the process gets complete.
Ava Williams is a McAfee product expert and has been working in the technology industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Emma has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as mcafee.com/activate.