Sick of undesired email you seemingly cannot stop? Find out here How to stop Spam Emails on Yahoo: report spam, unsubscribe from newsletters and block by sender or subject in Yahoo! Mail.
How to Block Unwanted Emails on Yahoo
To block unwanted messages in Yahoo Mail, you have three options. Let’s make sure you select the right tool for the right kind of obnoxious email.
1. How to Block Unwanted Email on Yahoo: Block Spam
First, ask yourself: Is it spam?
An email is spam if you did not ask for it, cannot unsubscribe from it and there is no clear sender to block. In that case, it is best to report the junk email to Yahoo. This will allow their filters to block similar messages in the future—and there is no block list or filter for you to maintain.
To block emails on Yahoo as spam using a desktop browser:
- Open the message you want to report or make sure it is checked in the message list.
- Tip: You can also check multiple emails to report them all as spam to Yahoo at once.
- Click Spam in the Yahoo! Mail toolbar.
- Important: Do not click anything that says “report as spam” or similar inside the message itself. Make sure you click the Spam button in the Yahoo! Mail toolbar.
To report junk emails in the Yahoo Mail app for iOS or Android:
- Open the message or make sure it is checked in the message list.
- Tip: To check multiple messages, tap and hold the desired emails in the message list; after the checkboxes appear, you can check multiple emails.
- Tap the more button (•••) in the toolbar.
- Select Mark as spam from the menu.
2. How to Block Unwanted Email on Yahoo: Unsubscribe from Newsletters
Then, identify and get rid of unwanted newsletters.
Messages from newsletters have a consistent and familiar sender and, crucially, a working way to unsubscribe. So, if you do recognize a mailing list or marketing email you want to get rid of, you will easily be able to do that without blocking the sender manually in Yahoo!.
To unsubscribe from a newsletter:
- Open the message.
- Look for and follow a link called “unsubscribe”, “manage subscription” or something similar.
- Complete the unsubscription process at the newsletter’s website.
3. How to Block Unwanted Email on Yahoo: Messages from Specific Senders or with Certain Subjects
Now, if the email is neither spam nor newsletter, you can block emails on Yahoo by sender or subject. You can either block email addresses using a blocked senders list or set up a filter to get a bit more control. We will look at both ways in turn.
How to Block Senders of Unwanted Email on Yahoo with a Blocked Senders List (Easier)
To add a sender to the list of blocked senders in Yahoo Mail on the desktop:
- Find and copy the email address of the sender you want to block.
- Click the Settings Menu gear (⚙️) in your Yahoo Mail’s top right corner.
- Choose More Settings from the menu that has come up.
- Open the Security and privacy category.
- Click + Add under Blocked addresses.
- Past (or type) the email address to be blocked over Type a email address under Add an email address to block.
- Click Save.
How to Block Unwanted Emails on Yahoo by Sender or Subject using Filters (More Flexible)
To set up a rule to block emails from a sender (or emails using specific words in the Subject line, or emails from certain senders that have a particular word in the Subject…) using Yahoo! Mail in a desktop browser:
- Find and copy the sender’s email address from a message they sent.
- This step is not essential; if you have no message from the sender to block at hand but do have their email address, continue with the next step.
- Click the Settings Menu gear icon (⚙️) in Yahoo Mail.
- Select More Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Go to the Filters category.
- Click Add new filters under Your filters.
- Enter a recognizable name for the new rule over Type a filter name (under Filter name).
- If you are blocking email@example.com, for instance, you could make the filter name “Block firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- Make sure From is expanded under Set rule.
- Select contains under Select a filter criterion.
- Type or paste the email address to block over Type a filter value.
- To paste the address from before, press Command-V (Mac) or Ctrl-V (Windows, Linux).
- Make sure Match case is not checked.
- Email addresses are, for all practical purposes, not case sensitive.
- Optionally, add further criteria using To/CC, Subject and Body.
- You could only block emails from the selected sender if the subject begins with “Fw: “, for example, to block only emails they forwarded.
- You can just as well set up a rule that has no From criterion and a Subject criterion that blocks all emails that contain a specific word in the Subject: line.
- Now make sure Trash is selected under Choose a folder to move to (using Select folder).
- Click Save.
What Happens Once the Filter to Block Emails is Set Up in Yahoo?
All future messages from the sender will now be sent to the Trash folder automatically and not show up in your Yahoo! Mail inbox.
(How to block unwanted emails on Yahoo tested with Yahoo! Mail in a desktop browser; updated September 2018; title image: StockUnlimited)